It is that time of year again where we have to worry about the inevitable white stuff falling from the skies here in Maine. Because of this, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of our snow cancellation processes and procedures here in Brewer. Below is information that will assist you in understanding what to expect on bad weather days that might impact our schools:
* Cancellations and delays are generally based on overall road conditions in Brewer and our sending towns and our ability to safely run buses. We also base decisions on our maintenance and public works crew’s ability to plow and clean sidewalks. In some circumstances, cancellations and delays may also be based on forecasted conditions.
* The Brewer School Department utilizes full day cancellations, 1-hour delays, and 2-hour delays as well as early dismissals depending upon the forecasted conditions and timing of storms. If school is delayed for 1 hour, all bus pick-up times and school start times will be delayed by exactly 1 hour. Similarly, for a 2-hour delay, all bus pick-up times and school start times will be delayed by exactly 2 hours. Early release dismissal times will generally be as follows:
School Hours for Early Release Due to Storms:
BHS 11:00 am
BCS (5-8) 11:00 am
BCS (K-4) 12:00 pm
Pre-K Does not meet on these days
Note: Your child will be dropped off at the address indicated on your child’s emergency card for early release days unless a note is given to the school stating otherwise.
* If school is canceled or delayed, communication regarding these decisions will be relayed to you via: One Call (our automated phone, text, and email system). This notification would typically occur at approximately 5:30 AM.
* In very rare circumstances, a decision to dismiss early may be made during the day. It is important that we have an accurate phone number for all students so that children are dropped off to homes with adults at home. These decisions will be made by 10:00 AM. We also notify the following:
- TV Stations: Channel 2, Channel 5 and Channel 7
- Radio Stations: W QCB (Q106.5), WBZN (Z107.3), WEZQ (92.9), WWMJ (95.7), WDEA-AM (1370), Kiss 94.5, The Bear 104.7, and WAVI AM (910)
- Bangor Daily News
* If school is canceled for the day, all after-school programs, activities, and athletic events are automatically canceled unless the district specifically communicates otherwise.
* There may be times when school is in session, but the weather is expected to worsen throughout the day and into the evening, causing the district to cancel all after-school programs, activities, and athletic events. Communication on these occasions will be via announcements in schools, our automated messaging system, and our website.
Please understand that attempting to forecast the weather conditions here in Maine is difficult even for our professional meteorologists. The Brewer School Department will always attempt to make the best decisions possible with the safety of our students at the forefront of each decision. On a day that is forecasted to have poor weather conditions, I typically will start my morning at 4:30 a.m. getting up to watch the weather, calling our public works crew who are on the road, and other area Superintendents to see what conditions are likely to be in their area. I will then log onto several weather sites, check radar and satellite images and timing of the storm, all before making my final decision. Then once the decision is made, all I can do is sit back and hope that all of that data is correct and that mother nature cooperates!
None of this, as you might imagine is an exact science. The Brewer School Department will always do its best to make the right call, however, please know we understand that it is always the parent/guardian who makes the final decisions regarding the safety of your student(s). If there is ever a circumstance where school has not been canceled or delayed, yet you feel as though it is best to keep your child home because of road conditions please do not hesitate to do so. This would also be considered an excused absence.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cheri Towle, Ed. D.