To all Families receiving SNAP (Food Assistance) benefits:
You may be eligible to receive additional benefits to replace food lost during the power outages experienced in our area last week.
You must call DHHS at 1-855-797-4357 within 10 days of the end of the outage.
DHHS will send you a form to complete and return. This is time sensitive–please call them as soon as possible.
Today the Brewer School Department held two flag raising ceremonies, one at each school, led by our AFJROTC cadets. Sergeant Tony Campbell read the following in remembrance of those that gave their lives on 9/11/01.
“On 11 September 2001 in the early morning as flights were taking off from various airports, four groups of terrorists took control of several flights. American Airlines flight 11 and United Airlines flight 175 were diverted and flown into the North and South World Trade Center Towers. American Airlines flight 93 was headed for Washington DC but several brave Patriots overwhelmed the terrorists and crashed the plane in a field outside Stony Creek Township in Pennsylvania. On that day 2,997 people lost their lives and over 6,000 were injured. So today we pause to pay tribute on this the 16th anniversary of that horrific day that did not weaken America, it only made us STRONGER! Color Guard, Raise the Colors!”
Click here for photos from this morning.
It is hard to believe the end of August is closing in and students will be heading back into our schools shortly. Teachers will arrive back into their classrooms next week for three days of professional development to prepare for the new school year.
Here are a few important dates to keep in mind as the school year begins.
Wednesday, August 30, 2017 Brewer Community School PreK-4 Open House 4:30PM-8:00PM
- Click here for more specific dates and times for each grade level in the letter that was mailed home.
Thursday, August 31, 2017 Brewer Community School Grades 5-8 Open House 5:30 PM-7:00 PM
- Click here for the letter that was mailed home.
Thursday, August 31, 2017 Brewer High School Grade Nine AND New Student Orientation Day 8AM-11AM
- Buses will run to pick up and drop off students this day.
Monday, September 4, 2017 Labor Day No School Today
Tuesday, September 5, 2017 First Student Day PreK-Grade 12 Welcome Back Everyone!
Tuesday, September 5, 2017 BCS Fall Sports begin after school. Please make sure your students have their physical examinations on file prior to team tryouts. A physical exam is valid for three years.
Wednesday, September 13, 2017 Brewer High School Open House 6PM-8PM
New Bus Routes will be posted shortly. We are waiting on final confirmation from Cyr Bus. I am hopeful to have them posted for you by Friday, August 25, 2017. Thank you for your patience.
Superintendent of Schools
School Committee Meeting
August 14, 2017 6PM
- MSMA – Increased funding in budget comes with new rules, priorities (enclosure) There will be an informational session by Drummond Woodsum on September 8. I will be attending to get more information for the upcoming budget season.
- Athletic Meetings – I have been meeting with all eight high school teams to discuss new eligibility with parents and students. This eligibility includes a separation of content grades and habits of work grades beginning the first quarter for all high school students. The rubric can be found on the athletic web site.
- Golf Fundraiser – Congratulations to Mr. Utterback and everyone that volunteered. The annual summer fundraiser brought in over 12K. Thank you to the community, parents and athletes that volunteered their time. This money helps pay our MPA dues and helps fund uniforms for our students.
- TAP Renovation – Before you leave tonight, please poke your head into the TAP rooms. The renovation is running ahead of schedule and coming along very nicely. As a reminder, most of this renovation is being paid for by a grant we received.
- Administrative Retreat – (August 14-16) Administrators spent three days together planning for the start of school with teachers and students. The retreat location was at our schools this year.
- District Enrollment/Student Count Numbers (enclosure) Click here for enclosure.
Note: High school registrations have not been added. This will be done on August 15. More accurate data will be reflective in the September meeting.
- Summer Work Updates
- Preparing for Proficiency-based Education
- Family Grading Guide – draft in process; will be posted on web page by start of school
- Empower System – working to get all of our standards marked to our courses by start of school
- Infinite Campus – working with IC to get our Habits of Work as a separate grade in IC for each course
- ASL Standards – met with Mr. Wilbur to draft standards to align with our World Language standards to update in Empower
- Habits of Work – redesigned our rubric to share with students and parents at eligibility meetings; teachers will receive more training on this during opening days of school especially at the high school
- Website Update – updates are ongoing; a proficiency-based page will be added
- TAP Renovations/BCS Floor Refinishing – on time and floor is done
- Admin Retreat/Planning for 17-18 Strategic Year – completed
- Title I and Title II Grants – completed
- EdYouSched Application Set Up for HS – sent to EdYouSched and waiting for login information to train teachers
- Job Descriptions Updated for District – all teacher/coaching positions updated; working on non-union descriptions currently
- Loss of funding to school based health clinic. I am working with PCHC to find new funding and grant money. Our clinics will run the same this year.
Monday, July 10, 2017
Brewer High School Lecture Hall
Superintendent of Schools
- New Ambassadors- Nine new members will be joining the team in the fall: Krystal Baillargeon, Olivia Catton, Alyssa Cottrell, Riley Curtis, Anna Jewell, Andrew Kiley, Cameron Monroe, Sean Neal, and Grace Robertson
- Thank you letter from a grandparent attending graduation (enclosure)
- Updated Regulation EFC-R-1 & 2 lunch prices for 2017-2018 These are mandated prices. (enclosure)
- Brewer School Dept, Wellness Team, End of Year Report 2016-2017 (enclosure)
- Budget Update and Discussion (waiting on MDOE for an update)
- Meeting with Systems Engineering – An assessment of our system was completed and a report was shared. Recommendations included installing new servers, firewalls, wireless devices and switches. We will be making a plan to how we can best remedy this situation. We also discussed employee security awareness training which we will do in the fall. There is a possibility for some funding through erate funding but that application cannot be submitted until October.
- District Numbers, June and July (Enclosure) This will be included in your monthly packets each month so there is no confusion on number in, number out and our total student count each month. Click here for district number enclosure.
- Student Eligibility Meeting with Mr. Utterback
With Proficiency-based education, student eligibility will be changing some starting next year. For Fall athletes, our old practices will stay the same where freshmen get a clean slate and 10th-12th graders cannot play if they fail three or more courses. Failing two courses puts them on probation. All of this will still hold true for the winter season except the entire high school will be grading habits of work next year. This means that every course will get a content grade and a habits of work grade. Students must have a habits of work grade of a 2.5 and still meet the same expectations of passing their courses as before. If a student is placed on probation, he/she has two weeks to bring up his/her grades. As a reminder Habits of Work includes completing homework, meeting deadlines, and being prepared for class. We will be letting parents/students know about this change at multiple fall meetings so students will work at both grades in all classes to make sure they are still eligible to play.
- Summer “Projects”
- Preparing for Proficiency-based Education
- Family Grading Guide
- Empower System
- Infinite Campus
- ASL Standards
- Habits of Work
- Website Update
- IT Systemic Plan and Get ALL new machines ready
- TAP Renovations/BCS Floor Refinishing
- Admin Retreat/Planning for 17-18 Strategic Year
- Title I and Title II Grants
- EdYouSched Application Set Up for HS
- Job Descriptions Updated for District