Our mission is to educate all students through relevant and engaging instruction to achieve personal success and contribute to their community.
Our Vision is to be an innovative learning community preparing students to reach their full potential as leaders, learners and critical thinkers in a complex and changing world.
PK-4 Principal: Allison Kahkonen
5-8 Principal: Jason Richards
Assistant Principal: Samantha Pangburn
School Counselor: Mrs. Snowdeal
Director of Instruction: Renita Ward-Downer
Teachers: Mr. Burby, Ms. Estes, Ms. Gabe, Mr. Dominick, and Mr. Walters
Phone: (207) 404-5700
How Can You Help? Be Involved!
- Home to school and school to home communication is key. Please call, send a note, or email our staff anytime.
- Attend our school and family events, including conferences in November. Be sure to ask questions.
- Request additional meetings to ask questions and seek advice or input about how to help your child.
- Read through notices, information, and student work that are sent home.
- Get involved in our PTU or become a school volunteer.
Language: Conventions: Grammar
- Is skilled at using conventions of standard grammar and usage when writing and speaking.
Reading: Informational and literature
- Understands authors use facts, reasons, evidence, and qualifying statements to support a claim.
- Understands points of view are manipulated to create specific effects such as suspense and humor in literature.
- Understands how the traits, motivations, feelings, and actions of characters influence the plot.
- Understands how the author uses different types of conflict and how plots unfold.
Speaking and Listening: Conversations and Presentations
- Poses and/or responds to key ideas expressed from multiple perspectives. Acknowledges new information expressed by others and modifies their own views.
- Understands how to question and/or justify their own views in light of questions, comments or ideas of others.
- Presents claims and findings in a coherent manner.
- Integrates multimedia and/or visual displays into presentations and adapts speech to a variety of contexts.
Writing: Grades 7 and 8
- Is skilled at identifying a credible source of information that is relevant to a research question being posed. Uses standard citation format when reporting research.
- Is skilled at using relevant, precise information and vocabulary for a selected topic in an organized format, while using and maintaining a formal style.
- Is skilled at developing a story that reflects the different points of view of the characters and multiple narrators.
- Is skilled at stating a claim for an argument with clear reasons and evidence from credible sources, written logically and cohesively, while maintaining a formal style.
- Is skilled at presenting an argument that is supported by multiple claims and counterclaims with clear reasons and evidence in a piece of writing.
In Math, our priority targets are:
Algebra: Expressions, Equations, and Inequalities
- Is skilled at solving one step equations using integers.Is skilled at solving one-step inequalities using integers.
- Is skilled at reproducing a scale drawing at a different scale of a geometric shape or drawing.
- Is skilled at finding area and circumference of circles
Number and Quantity: Number Systems
- Is skilled at adding and subtracting integers using a number line.
- Is skilled at multiplying and dividing integers (this is about using the rules of signs correctly).
- Is skilled at adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing rational numbers.
Number Sense: Fractions, Decimals, Percents
- Is skilled at finding the percent of a quantity.
- Is skilled at using ratio and rate reasoning to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
- Is skilled at identifying the constant of proportionality from an equation, table, graph or description.
- Is skilled at using proportional relationships to solve problems.
Statistics & Probability: Data Analysis
- Understands how to interpret data represented by stem and leaf plots.
- Understands data can be represented and interpreted using pie charts (circle graphs).
Statistics and Probability: Probability
- Is skilled at finding probabilities of compound events using organized lists, tables, tree diagrams.
Physical Science: Electricity and Magnetism
- Understands the difference between static electricity and electric current and that electric currents moves through conductors. Understands the set-up and purpose of a parallel and a series circuit. Understands how society generates electricity.
Physical Science: Heat Energy
- Understands what happens to the temperature of objects when a warmer object is near a cooler one. Understands that conduction, convection, and radiation transfer heat energy in a variety of systems and that some materials transfer heat well and some transfer heat poorly.
Physical Science: Mechanical Systems
- Understands potential and kinetic energy can change, but total energy in a system stays constant. Understands various trade-offs when using simple machines.
- Understands that different cultural perspectives lead groups to interpret the same events differently. Understand the different components inherent in the various leadership positions. Understand the evolution of political elites and the development of political parties and ideologies. Understands the need for continual technological innovation for growth.
Economics: Personal Economics
- Understands factors that contribute to decisions related to personal spending and savings.
Geography: Maps & Tools and World Geography
- Is skilled at using various thematic maps. Understands how climate impacts the physical geography of the world.
World History: Comparative Government
- Understands the similarities and differences between the major world systems of government.
Seventh Grade kids have access to 1-2 daily related arts classes.
PE: Mr. Brady
Art: Mr. Estes
Band: Mrs. Nadeau
Foreign Language: Ms. Snook
Health: Mr. Hutchins
The City of Brewer is proud to be a community of caring. Along with these values, Habits of Work are explicitly taught at each grade level. We work with our K-8 students to help them become a:
- Listens and follows directions
- Respects rights and feelings of others
- Behaves responsibly
- Completes assignments
- Works and plays cooperatively
- Participates/engages in class
- Demonstrates independent work habits
- Produces quality work
- Shows perseverance